Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Prelude to that Sunday Fiasco

Classes are done for the weekend. A quick stop at my favourite Italian market for the makings of a homemade pizza; fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil!), olives, feta cheese and of course, pizza dough. A bottle of cold bubbly. A wonderful night is within reach!

Once home only the dog to great me, oh yes the night is going to be sweet. (I love my rellies but a night alone? oh yes!) Once changed into my favourite pajamas, books stacked up the couch, notebook and pen to hand and a martini already shaken and waiting to be poured I call up my little sis Nicole. Hmm, voicemail. A sip of martini - ooooh heaven in a glass - and try to get my baby sis on the phone, 2 strikes and another voicemail left.

Ok, I'll start on the creating of the best pizza ever! Now, I've never used pre-made dough before and there were no directions on the package. So I did what any modern girl would do, I Googled "ready made pizza dough directions".Well you can imagine the hits on that! Finally sorted through a goozillion of them and thought I had a pretty good handle on what to do (amazing how a second martini can make things so clear). So pizza dough stretched and ready for zee toppings! Olive and sun-dried tomato tapanade to cover base, scatter with pancetta and torn basil leaves and finally dollops of goat feta and a wee bit of shredded mozzarella for that stringy goodness!

Just as I slid my masterpiece into the oven the phone rings. Yeah! It's my little sister calling me back.  We chat and catch up and I drink some bubbles. I had set the timer but during our catch up I just wanted to peek and sniff and tease my taste buds a bit.

I have never ended a call as quickly as I did then! Poor Nicole - "I've got to go, my pizza is about to explode!!" and I hung up. Then I started laughing.

I KNOW!!! It looks like bread but that is my pizza masterpiece. Some how, some way the dough caught a major air bubble and blew up like a hot air balloon. Just as I snapped the picture my baby sister called, I was laughing so hard I don't know how she understood me. She did manage to get it out of me that I was into the bubbly, as if that contributed to the pizza enlargement, psh.

I managed to free the pizza from  the upper element - just my luck I made the pizza in the top oven, I wonder how inflated it would have been in the lower, larger oven? Maybe I'll try it again some day because even with the element burns this was one divine pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment